Navigation: Document ManagementRFIs
Request For Information (RFIs) provide rapid, formal, permanently recorded communications between key project members to facilitate obtaining answers to questions or other guidance needed during a project.
For example, a contractor may notice that a drawing calls for Number 5 reinforcement bars in the footing. The contractor may question this direction and create an RFI asking the Prime Contractor if this is correct or request permission to use Number 8 bars.
They submit an RFI to the Prime Contractor, who may be able to answer the question directly or may choose to forward the request to the Architect for a decision. In either case, the response is permanently recorded and also communicated back to the contractor.
In Constructware, the RFI process is greatly expedited by direct online collaboration and electronic notification of all parties involved.
Notes about versions:
- You can see the number of versions of the selected RFI document from the main log in the History column.
- Upon creating a new document, the system assigns the document as Version 1.
- The system defines the version in the main log as the current version.
- The system increments Version Numbers by 1.
- The system creates versions when a locked document is edited.
- Linked documents are always associated with the current version.
- Distributed documents are related to the document. Once it sent, the user who received the document has access to all versions of the document.
- If the user can access the RFI record, the user can see the History associated with that record.
- You can see the revision history for an RFI in the View option. This applies only to RFIs with histories.
RFI Log Columns
Active and Locked RFIs are displayed in the log by default. Select the Show Voided checkbox to display the voided records. Draft records only display for the user who created the document, the From user, and users with Change or Administrator permission.
An RFI is displayed in a light orange colored row if it has no Primary Response and no Resolve date, and its state is not Void.