Navigation: Cost ManagementCost Items
In Constructware, the Cost Item is the detail item on Cost Management documents that relates a Budget Code, a Company, and Units/Dollars. For example, the Items on a Cost Event are Cost Items. Likewise, the Items on a Purchase Order (PO) are Cost Items. The Cost Item is the detail item on all Cost Management documents. The only way you can create a cost against the Budget is with a Cost Item.
Typically, one would never create a Cost Item in the Cost Items module. Instead, create Cost Items only as a by-product of other processes.
For example, if a potential change order is identified, create a Cost Event to document it. Adding items to the Cost Event (thus relating cost to Companies to Budget Codes) creates Cost Items. If the Cost Event is Processed into an RCO, these Cost Items will also be related to the RCO. Likewise, if a PO is created from the RCO, items for that company will also be made into line items on the PO.
Auto-Generated Cost Items
Constructware automatically creates Cost Items for certain scenarios:
- Tax and Other Charges: On POs, POCOs, and Invoices, Tax and Other Charges amounts create Cost Items.
- Markups: Because the Cost Item is the only mechanism for relating to the Budget, markups also are Cost Items. Thus, all direct and indirect cost, and all markups become Cost Items on documents. Examples of documents with markups are Cost Events, RCOs, and OCOs. Purchasing documents such as POs and Contracts do not have markups.
- Budget Adjustments: Transferring money between budget codes or making other adjustments creates Cost Items.
- Tracking Items: You can track receiving against Purchase Order Cost Items either through the Daily Reports module on the Daily Materials tab or through the PO Tracking module available through the Tracking button in the Purchase Order module. These partial receipt Cost Items are referred to as Tracking Items.
- Invoices: Cost Items added directly to Invoices are considered Auto-Generated Items because of the way Tracking Items are handled, as described previously.
- Pay Apps and Contractor Pay Apps: Creates Cost Items for Pay Apps and Contractor Pay Apps when the Allow Cost Item Creation option for the module is enabled in Module Customization, you have assigned a Budget Code to the SOV Heading Items, and you click Update.
This topic explains how Cost Items are created within other documents and the meaning of the various fields (attributes) of Cost Items.