Containers, matte containers and multi-channel clips are a convenient way of grouping elements on the timeline. They can each be represented in the timeline as a single element.
- A container is composed of multiple versions of the same shot with different grades or multiple shots.
- A matte container is composed of a primary track and one or more external mattes.
- A multi-channel clip is a source clip that contains one or multiple matte channels.
Note the following functionality while working with containers, matte containers, and multichannel clips:
- Containers, matte containers and multi-channel clips can be part of a sorted selection. When a timeline is sorted, it is not possible to enter inside the containers.
- You can apply retime effects on containers, matte containers and multi-channel clips. All shots inside a container get the same retime effects. When you drag and drop clips to a container, the shots you add also get the same retime effect.
- You can collapse a selection of shots, containers, matte containers and multi-channel clips. When the timeline is collapsed, the matte media in matte containers and multi-channel clips are still available for grading, but you cannot enter inside these timeline segments when they are collapsed.
- You can remove containers and matte containers on multiple selections.
You can import mattes like any other source clip. Use one of the following workflows with externally generated mattes:
- Use a matte container created in Lustre and import a matte as a source clip.
- Use multi-channel clips when you want to add matte channels to a source clip and share this footage with multiple timelines in Lustre. These clips can be created from Lustre or generated outside the application using the Autodesk Wiretap Gateway XML schema.
- Use a matte container created in Smoke 2012 and Flame 2012 through Wiretap.
The legacy external matte workflow that required the manual modification of matte files to match the source footage file name and location is now obsolete. You cannot load mattes that were created prior to Lustre
2012. You must recreate them.