Table of contentsNo headers
There are two ways to archive clips with unmanaged media:
- Stone mode: the media is automatically written to the archive and becomes managed. This ensures that material will not be overwritten accidentally in the shared storage when you restore the media. When you restore the media, the clips will reside on the local framestore as managed frames. To make these clips accessible from the shared storage again, you must publish them.
- Linked mode: Only the path to the media is archived. You can later restore the clip in the original form as unmanaged media, provided the media resides at the original paths saved with the archive. If the source clip is not found at restore time, it is displayed as a checkerboard pattern image.
Archiving files using the linked option significantly reduces the amount of space required for your archived clips. It also alleviates bandwidth when archiving to a VTR. Using Linked mode, you can archive both video and audio files. An archived clip with unmanaged media has an attached unmanaged media icon corresponding to the file extension.
To archive a clip with unmanaged media:
- From a clip library, select the clip with unmanaged media to be archived.
You can use the Search feature to easily locate all the clips with unmanaged media in your library. See Searching in an Archive
- Create an archive or open an existing archive.
(a) Archive Device box (b) Backup Set box (c) Archiving Mode box
- From the Archive Device box, select the device for archiving your entries.
- Optional: Click Size Estimate to determine the size of material to be archived.
- Optional: Enable Verify Source Media button to have the application verify the integrity of the source media of a clip before adding it to the archive. If there is missing source media for a clip, you can still proceed with the archive but without the clip: such clip, and any other clip with missing source media, is greyed out in the clip library.
You can also view the archive status of clips using the List View in the Clip Library: the Archived column displays either the time when the clip was last archived, or why is failed to be archived.
- Optional (File Archive only): Enable Verify Archived Data button to have the application verify the integrity of the data as it is being written to the archive. The application stops the archiving process as soon as it detects an error.
- From the Archiving Mode box, select the archiving mode.
|Select: ||To: |
|Stone ||Write clip to the framestore and archive the content of the media file. |
|Linked ||Archive only the path to the media file. |
- From the Backup Set box, select the backup set.
|Select: ||To: |
|Compact ||Maintain a highly organized archive and save space on the device. |
|Normal ||Archive without using a backup set. Entries are archived directly to the table of contents. Source clips remain in play order on tape. |
- Click Archive.