After booting into your new Linux installation, perform the following post-installation tasks:
- If you installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux, register with Red Hat. If you do not yet have a network connection, you can complete the registration process later at http://www.redhat.com/register/. For more information, see the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Installation Guide at http://www.redhat.com.
- Change the default root password to secure the system. Log into your system as root, using the default password password, and in a terminal run the passwd command.
- Disable operating system updates.
- Install device drivers.
- By default the time zone is set to EST. To change it, log in as root. Right-click the clock, and select Configure Clock from the context menu.
- Configure the network settings for your system to match the ones used in your facility. The automated Linux installation sets a default IP address and hostname for your system, which may not be suitable for your facility network. Consult the Red Hat or CentOS documentation to configure these settings.
- Optional: Install the JRE.
- Optional: If you plan to install Autodesk Maya on the Flare workstation, install the mesa-libGLw package, that is not installed by default with your operating system. In a terminal, as root, type: yum install mesa-libGLw