Table of contentsNo headers
Using the VTR Input module, you can capture 30 fps film-based material and convert it to 24 fps material in real-time as you capture. The procedure for enabling automatic 2:3 removal differs depending on whether your tape uses non-drop or drop 60i timecode.
To capture 60i material with 2:3 pulldown removal:
- Set up your capture.
- In the VTR Input module, click Eng.
The Engineering menu appears. It contains options for removing 2:3 pulldown in real time while capturing.
(a) 2:3 Removal button (b) 24>DF Reference field (c) AA Reference field
- Enable 2:3 Removal.
- In the AA Reference field, enter a timecode that corresponds with an AA frame on the tape that is currently in the VTR.
TipTo determine an AA frame, frame-step (right arrow) the tape and look closely at each frame. In 2:3 pulldown, two jitter frames with field artefacts are followed by three normal frames. The second frame after the two jitter frames is an AA frame.
- When you capture material from a tape that uses 30 fps drop-frame timecode with 2:3 removal enabled, a slight discrepancy between timecodes is introduced due to the reference timecode used to determine the 30 drop frame to 24 timecode conversion. To optimize correspondence between the timecodes, enter the timecode in the 24 >DF Reference field that matches the start reel timecode for the tape.
TipThe start clip timecode can be deduced from the hour-mark of the timecode used by your clips. For example, 1;00;00;00 drop-frame would require a 1;00;00;00 value in the 24p>DF reference field to get a clip starting at 01;00;00+00.
- Make sure the project's field dominance is set to field1. If the project's field dominance is set to field 2, you must switch the field dominance back to field 1.
- Click EXIT to return to the VTR Input module.
- Using the In and Out timecode fields, set the in and out points for the capture session.
(a) In and Out timecode fields (b) 2:3 In and Out pulldown display
With the in and out timecodes set, the corresponding 2:3 pulldown frame is indicated in the In and Out 2:3 pulldown display. Use the 2:3 Pulldown display to determine the 24 fps result in and out frames.
|2:3 Pulldown Frame ||24 fps Result Frame |
|In/Out AA ||In/Out A |
|In/Out BB ||In/Out B |
|In/Out DD ||In/Out D |
|In BC ||In C |
|In CD ||In D |
|Out CD ||Out C |
- Click Process to capture the material with 2:3 pulldown removal.