Media can be stored on any of the following hardware, as long as it is not the system drive: a direct attached storage (DAS) device or a storage area network (SAN).
Configure a standard filesystem as media storage:
- Ensure the disk array or SAN storage is connected to your workstation and powered up, and that a UNIX-compatible filesystem exists on the storage. For best performance, it is recommended to use a filesystem known for high-performance media playback, such as XFS or SNFS.
- In a terminal, as root. Stop Stone and Wire with the command: /etc/init.d/stone+wire stop.
- Create one or more Managed Media Cache directories:
- If a mount point for your storage does not exist, create one, for example: mkdir -p /mnt/SAN1. Do not use the reserved word “stonefs” as the name for your mount point directory. Mount the filesystem to the newly-created directory. To mount it at boot, update /etc/fstab.
- Create the Managed Media Cache directory on the mounted filesystem, in a directory named after the workstation hostname. The Managed Media Cache directory should be named after the partition name (by default, partition 7, or p7). For example, if the filesystem mount point is /mnt/SAN1, your workstation hostname is flare1, and the partition name is p7, type: mkdir -p /mnt/SAN1/flare1/p7
- Set the ownership for the directory to the root user. For example: chown -R root:users /mnt/SAN1/flare1/p7. Set permissions for the directory to be readable, writable, and searchable by the owner and its group, and readable and searchable by all. For example: chmod -R 775 /mnt/SAN1/flare1/p7
- To make your application aware of the standard filesystem volumes, define the Managed Media Cache of each volume as a partition in the Stone and Wire configuration file, and set its preferences in /usr/discreet/sw/cfg/stone+wire.cfg. Update the keywords: Name, Path, Shared, and SymlinkAcrossFilesystems.
- If this is the first filesystem you are configuring for this workstation:
- From /usr/discreet/sw/cfg/sw_framestore_map file get the FRAMESTORE value and use it to update /usr/discreet/sw/cfg/sw_storage.cfg.
- Restart Stone and Wire by typing: /etc/init.d/stone+wire restart.
- Ensure the filesystem is mounted: /usr/discreet/sw/sw_df. Any project created in your application after this point has the new standard filesystem partition as its primary partition. Any pre-existing projects are unaffected by this setting and remain associated to their respective partitions.