See Prepare the installation media.
- If you have only Linux machines serving your Linux products, install Wiretap Gateway on a Linux workstation.
- If you want Apple ProRes support for your Linux products, you must install the Wiretap Gateway software for Linux on a Mac workstation.
Installing Wiretap Gateway Software for Linux Products
Install on Linux:
- Log in to the system as root. On the USB key, the installer is in the directory StandaloneInstallers/. A link to the installer is in the release announcement.
- Run WiretapGateway_2013.1_Linux/INSTALL.
Install on OS X by double clicking WiretapGateway_2012_Mac_Use_With_Linux_Products.dmg. This is on the USB drive at StandaloneInstallers/WiretapGateway_2013.1_Mac or you can download it from the link in the Release Announcement.
License Dedicated Wiretap Gateway Software for Linux Products
You cannot use a Wiretap Gateway on a dedicted system until it is licensed. Although they still appear in the network tree in applications, unlicensed Wiretap Gateways block all media I/O. When you attempt to play or import media through an unlicensed Wiretap Gateway, the operation fails and an “Unlicensed” error message is returned. To license Wiretap Gateway through a remote (network) license server (Linux or OS X):
- On the machine running Wiretap Gateway create /usr/local/flexlm/licenses/DL_licenseNetwork.dat.
- Add the lines:
SERVER <license_server_machine_name> 0
To license (node locked) Wiretap Gateway (Linux or Mac machine):
- On the Wiretap Gateway system in a terminal, get the Discreet host ID of the system with This should return something like: The Discreet host ID of this machine is “DLHOST01=25231AEF83AD9D5E9B2FA270DF4F20B1”.
- Send the Discreet host ID line (e.g. everything in quotations marks, above) to Autodesk M&E Licensing:email@example.com. You can immediately acquire a 4-day license code via the emergency license generator at http://melicensing.autodesk.com/templicensing/. To speak to a licensing representative call the Licensing Department in North America at 1-800-925-6442, 08:00-20:00 EST. Outside of North America, call 1-514-954-7199.
- Carefully add the code to the license file /usr/local/flexlm/licenses/DL_license.dat.
- Save the license file and restart Wiretap Gateway with /etc/init.d/wiretapgateway restart.
Installing and and Licensing the Wiretap Gateway Software Included with Smoke for Mac OS X
Install and license the Wiretap Gateway included with Smoke for Mac OS X. This version is for Smoke for Mac only. Install, configure and license Smoke for Mac OS X before you install and license the Wiretap Gateway. For information on installing Smoke for Mac OS X, see the Autodesk Smoke for Mac Installation and Licensing Guide.
- You should register and set up the network license server for Smoke for Mac OS X before you install Wiretap Gateway. See the Autodesk Smoke for Mac Installation and Licensing Guide.
- On the Smoke installation media run Install Wiretap Gateway Server from the Standalone Installers folder.
- Click through to the Network License Configuration dialog and enter the license server hostname in the Server hostname field.
- Depending on your OS configuration, the Select a Destination window may appear. Click “Install for all users of this computer”, then click Continue.
- Click Install to begin the installation process.
To change the license server after you install the Smoke for Mac edition of Wiretap Gateway:
- Open the License Server Selector:
- If Smoke is installed on the same workstation: /Applications/ Smoke 2013.1/Utilities
- If Smoke is not installed on the workstation: /Applications/Autodesk/Adlm
- Enter the name of the license server in the Hostname field and click OK.