Table of contentsNo headers
Before you begin installing, check to see that your system meets the recommended hardware and software requirements. Also, ensure that you have the system settings required to install and run Autodesk Inventor 2011.
Whether your Windows operating system is the 32-bit or the 64-bit version, the version is automatically detected during installation. The appropriate version of Autodesk Inventor is installed. A 64-bit version of Autodesk Inventor cannot be installed on a 32-bit system and vice-versa.
For Windows Users: See the following table for hardware and software requirements.
For part and assembly design (less than 1,000 parts)
For large assembly design (more than 1,000 parts)
Microsoft Windows® Operating Systems
Windows® 7 (32-bit or 64-bit); Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate/Enterprise
Windows® Vista (SP2) (32-bit or 64-bit): Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate
Windows® XP: Professional (SP3)
XP Professional x64 Edition (SP2)
Windows® 7 64-bit
Windows® Vista 64-bit (SP2)
Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition (SP2)
Intel® Pentium® 4 - 2 GHz or faster, Intel® Xeon , Intel® Core , AMD® Athlon 64, AMD® Opteron or later
AMD64 or Intel® 64 processor
2 or more GB
6 or more GB
Microsoft Direct3D 10, Direct3D 9 capable
- 16 GB free disk space to accommodate the installation files and temporary files created during the installation.
- DVD-ROM drive
- Microsoft Mouse compliant pointing device
- 1280 x 1024 or higher screen resolution
- Internet connection for Web downloads and Subscription Aware access
- Adobe Flash Player 10. Note: The multimedia learning components of the Inventor Help system, such as the Ribbon Introduction, Command Locator, and Show Me animations require Adobe Flash Player 10 be installed. If it is not already installed, you can download it from http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x through 8
- Microsoft Excel 2003 through 2007 for iComponents, thread customization, and spreadsheet-driven designs
- Autodesk Inventor 2011 and AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 applications are each provided both as 32-bit applications and as 64-bit applications for installation and use on the corresponding operating system only. Autodesk Vault Explorer 2011 is a 32-bit application for installation and use on either a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.
- Autodesk Inventor 2011/AutoCAD Mechanical design applications and Autodesk Vault must all be the same language on a given computer. English versions of these applications run on any language operating system. Other language versions of these applications run on operating systems of that same language.
- Autodesk Inventor 2011 has been optimized to take advantage of the SSE2 extended instruction sets supported on Pentium 4, AMD Athlon 64 and AMD Opteron processors. Autodesk Inventor will not install on computers that do not support SSE2. Several utilities are available on the internet that report CPUID including supported instructions sets.
- Autodesk recommends settings which allow Microsoft Windows to manage virtual memory, as needed. There should always be at least twice as much free hard disk space as system memory (RAM).
- Please refer to the Autodesk published graphics card information at: http://www.inventor-certified.com/graphics
- Autodesk Inventor 2011 is available only on DVD media (or electronic download in some situations). CD media is no longer available. DVD-ROM drive is not required if installing using electronic download.,
Note: The preceding requirements are recommended for effective use of Autodesk Inventor 2011 software. For further details, please refer to the Readme document installed with Autodesk Inventor 2011.
For Macintosh Users: See the following table for hardware and software requirements.
You can install Autodesk® Inventor® Professional software on a Mac® computer on a Windows partition. The system must use Boot Camp® to manage a dual OS configuration and meet the minimum system requirements:
- Apple OS X 10.5x
- Boot Camp V 2.0 or highter
- Intel-based Mac (64-bit Windows Vista requires an Intel Core® 2 duo or Xeon® processor)
- Minimum 3 GB RAM (Recommend 4 GB for 32-bit Windows OS, 8 GB or more for 64-bit Windows OS)
- Minimum 20 GB disk space for Apple OS partition, minimum 20 GB for Windows OS partition
Mac Virtualization on Parallels Desktop
Autodesk Inventor Professional can be used on the Mac via Parallels Desktop for Mac without having to boot directly into the Windows OS so it is easy to switch between platforms. The system must meet the following requirements:
- Mac os X 10.5x
- Parallels Desktop 4.0 (4.0.3844 or highter) or Desktop 5.0
- Intel based Mac (64-bit Windows Vista requires an Intel Core 2 duo or Xeon processor)
- Minimum 4 GB RAM (6 GB system memory for 32-bit Windows OS, 8 GB or more for 64-bit Windows OS recommended)
- Minimum 40 GB available disk space (100 GB recommended)
For more details, please read the Inventor for Mac FAQ.
To find out if a service pack is available, visit the Autodesk Product Support page