The polymer used to manufacture a plastic part affects the processing and the characteristics of the finished part.
The Moldflow Material Database includes specific information on more than 7,750 materials. This information ensures accurate analysis based on the material that is selected.
The simple but powerful search facility helps you find an appropriate material for your application.
Select a material
The material used in an analysis impacts heavily on the results. A generic material is assigned to an analysis by default.
If the default material is inappropriate, select another material:
- On the Mold Design ribbon, click . The dialog box displays.
- In Manufacturer, click the manufacturer of the required material.
- Click , and select the trade name of the required material.
NoteThe Energy usage indicator and Resin identification code icons of the original material are updated to the environmental impact properties of the selected material.
- Optional: Click to view the properties of the selected material. If you cannot find a particular material, click . Search for further materials in the Autodesk Moldflow materials database.
Search for a material
In the Material Search dialog box, you can search for material with customized search fields, terms, and filters. You can select the sequence in which the results display.
- On the Mold Design ribbon, click on the Mold Design ribbon. The dialog box displays.
- Click .
The dialog displays.
- Select the search parameter from the pane.
NoteIf the search field you require is not available in the pane, click . Select the search field from the Add dialog box, and click again. To delete search fields from the pane, select a search field and click . The order in which the search fields display is the order in which the search results columns display.
- Enter a search term in the text box to the right of the pane. The search term appears after the search field in the pane.
NoteThe button removes any previous search criteria.
- Click .
The materials that conform to your search criteria appear.
- To refine the results, click to reopen the dialog box.
You can use search criteria that is saved. To load saved search criteria, in the upper-right corner of the dialog box,
). Select the required criteria from the drop-down list.
Save material search criteria
You can save and reuse search fields, the sequence in which results appear, and search terms or filters.
- Click on the Mold Design ribbon. The dialog box displays.
- Click . The dialog box displays.
- Define the required search criteria.
- In the ( ). The dialog box displays. dialog box, click
- Type a name into the box and click .
The saved search criteria is now available.
To access saved search criteria, in the upper right corner of the dialog box, click ( ). Select the required criteria from the drop-down list.
Edit a material
You can change your choice of material at any time.
Use one of two methods to change an existing material.
- Click on the Mold Design ribbon and select the new material.
- In the Mold Design browser, right-click the material to change, select and select the new material.
NoteAll existing analysis results, process settings, and shrinkage settings show as out of date for all parts.
Delete a material
You can delete any material, but the deletion can invalidate previously generated results.
- In the Mold Design browser, right-click the material node to delete, and then click Delete.
- A warning dialog box displays. If you click , all analysis results, process settings, and shrinkage settings show as out of date for all parts.
Selects the material to use in an analysis from the Autodesk Moldflow materials database.
| ||On the Mold Design ribbon, click . |
Plot the properties of a material, search for a specific material, or select a material.
The polymer family the material belongs to determines which resin identification code is applied.
A relative value that is based on the predicted injection pressures and cooling times across a range of geometries.
Lists the materials that have been used most often.
Removes the selected material from the commonly used materials list.
Lists every material entry in the Autodesk Moldflow materials database, sorted by Manufacturer and then Trade Name.
Lists every material manufacturer available in the Autodesk Moldflow materials database.
Lists the material trade names available for the selected manufacturer.
Searches the Autodesk Moldflow materials database for the required material.
Includes the selected material in the list of commonly used materials.
Enables you to view the properties of the selected material. Determine if it is appropriate for the analysis.
Generates a report on the properties of the selected material. Determine if it is appropriate for the analysis.