Table of contentsNo headers
Each new assembly is created from a template. When you install Autodesk Inventor, your selection of default units of measurement sets the default template used to create assemblies. You can use this template or another predefined template, modify one of the predefined templates, or create your own templates.
Any assembly file can be used as a template when you save it in the Templates folder. For example, if you have an assembly file that contains settings and properties you want to use for other assemblies, save a copy of it in the Autodesk\Inventor [version]\Templates folder. The next time you create an assembly file, the new template is available.
The location of the Templates folder is by default:
Microsoft Windows XP: Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor [version]\Templates.
Microsoft Windows 7: Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor [version]\Templates.
Deciding what to include in an assembly template
Any settings that streamline the creation of assemblies or established default values can be included in a template.
- Change the sizes of the origin work planes to accommodate the average size of the assemblies you create.
- If you use differing units of measurement in different assemblies, create different templates for each.
- Set the styles so that they are available for you to use. Associate the template file with a style library, or if you do not use style libraries, define the styles in the template file.
- Define the columns and format for the bill of materials.
You can specify properties such as cost center, project name, or manager and save them as part of the template. Use Properties to find, track, and manage files. They can also be used to add and maintain information automatically in title blocks, parts lists, and bills of material.
Setting a default assembly template
You can set any template to be the default template for creating new assemblies. To make a template the default, save it in the Templates folder with the file name standard.iam. To avoid overwriting the existing default template move or rename the existing standard template before saving the new template.
Files that reside in the Templates folder appear on the Default tab of the New dialog box when you create new files. Files that reside in a subfolder of the Templates folder appear other tabs in the New dialog box.
NoteTo add tabs to the New dialog box, create new subfolders in the Templates folder and add template files to them. The New dialog box displays a tab for each subfolder in the Templates folder.
Create templates for assemblies
All new assembly files are created with a template. You can create your own templates and add them to the templates provided by Autodesk Inventor.
- Create an assembly, using an existing template.
- Set the default units of measurement.
- If needed, change the sizes of the origin work planes to accommodate the average assembly size.
- Set the properties for the file.
- Save the file in the Autodesk\Inventor [version]\Templates folder or a subfolder of Templates. An assembly file automatically becomes a template when it is saved to the Templates folder.
NoteThe file standard.iam in the Templates folder is the default assembly template. To replace the default template, remove standard.iam and replace it with a template that has the same name.