A marking menu is a radial menu of commonly used commands, along with a context menu. Each item, or node, is associated with a wedge of the circle. The node displays the command name and icon.
Each workspace (Solid, Surface, and Assemble) has its own marking menu.
As you move the cursor from the center of the marking menu towards a node, the wedge displays on the screen. You can click anywhere in the wedge to select the item.
Close the marking menu by clicking in the center, or move the cursor away from the marking menu until the wedge highlighting disappears, and then click.
Note If you press to close the marking menu when a command is active, you also close that command.
Marking Menu Nodes
The marking menu consists of eight wedges. Each wedge represents a command/operation. These commands are the most frequently used commands, plus a context menu that contains additional commands. The eight node positions use the same names as a compass.
The default commands in the marking menu are:
| ||Sketch ||Secondary Sketch ||Solid ||Surface ||Assemble |
|North||Repeat last command ||Stop Sketch ||Repeat last command ||Repeat last command ||Repeat last command |
|Northeast||Press Pull ||Rectangle Two Point ||Press Pull ||Press Pull ||Press Pull |
|East||Redo ||Constraints ||Redo ||Redo ||Redo |
|Southeast||Hole ||Project ||Hole ||Patch ||Joint |
|South||Sketch ||Line ||Sketch ||Sketch ||Sketch |
|Southwest||Tweak Faces ||Offset ||Tweak Faces ||Reverse Normal ||Joint Origin |
|West||Undo ||Sketch Dimension ||Undo ||Undo ||Undo |
|Northwest||Delete ||Circle Center Radius ||Delete ||Delete ||Delete |
Most nodes are consistent to simplify selecting common items. Some marking menu nodes update based on the active environment and selection. For example, the North node is always Repeat while the East node changes to OK when a command is active.
Use the marking menu
The two basic ways to select items from the marking menu are menu mode and marking mode.
Menu mode is the standard context menu behavior. Right-click in the graphics window and select a marking menu node or a context menu item.
- Right-click in the graphics window. A radial menu displays, centered on the current cursor position.
- Move the cursor towards a menu item. A wedge displays showing which item is active.
- Click anywhere in the wedge to select the item.
Note You can use the Up and Down arrow keys on your keyboard to navigate the marking menu selections. Each node highlights as you move around the circle, but a wedge does not display. Press Enter to select the item.
- To cancel the marking menu, perform one:
- Click in the center of the circle.
- Move the cursor away from the marking menu until the wedge highlighting disappears, and then click.
- Press .
After you become familiar with the marking menu, Marking mode, also called gesture behavior, is an efficient way to select commands.
- Press the right mouse button and immediately drag the cursor towards an item. A trail displays showing you cursor path, but the marking menu does not display.
- Release the right mouse button to select the item. The node temporarily displays to indicate which item was selected.
- If you pause the cursor, the marking menu displays with a highlighted wedge. Release the right mouse button to select the item.