Table of contentsNo headers
If you created a title block using another CAD application, you can import it into Revit. Some text in the imported title block may reflect information that is specific to the project or sheet. Replace this text with Revit parameters so that the information can update automatically.
To import a title block
- In the CAD application, do the following:
- Prepare the title block. For example, remove unwanted text, or text that you plan to replace with Revit parameters.
- Export the title block to a DXF or DWG file.
- In Revit, create the title block, as follows:
- Click New (Title Block).
- In the New Title Block dialog, select the appropriate sheet size for the title block, and click Open.
If the imported title block uses a non-standard size, select New Size.rft, and click Open.
- Import the title block, as follows:
- Click Insert tabImport panel (Import CAD).
- In the Import CAD Formats dialog, navigate to the location of the title block file to import.
- For Files of type, select the type of file to import.
- For File name, specify the file to import.
- Specify the desired import options.
See Import and Link Options for CAD Formats and Revit Models.
- Click Open.
If you cannot see the imported title block in the drawing area, type ZF (Zoom to Fit).
- If needed, adjust the defined print area.
When you selected a title block size in the New dialog, Revit placed lines in the drawing area. These lines define the size of the printed page (the print area) for the sheet. If the imported title block is larger or smaller than the selected title block size, drag the lines to the edges of the title block.
- If needed, explode the imported file.
If the imported title block includes text, perform a full explode to separate the imported object into its component objects. (See Exploding Imported Geometry.) Then you can delete the text in the title block and replace it with Revit labels. (When you add a sheet to a project, these labels update to display project-specific or sheet-specific information.)
To explode the imported file:
- In the drawing area, select the imported title block.
The status bar displays the following:
Imports in Families : Import Symbol : location <Not Shared>.
- Click Modify | Imports in Families tabImport Instance panelExplode drop-downFull Explode.
You can now select individual lines or pieces of text to move or delete them.
- Replace project-specific or sheet-specific text from the imported title block with Revit labels.
For example, if the imported title block includes the text Client Name as a placeholder, select this text and delete it. Then replace it with the Project Name parameter that Revit provides, or another parameter that you have defined. See Adding Custom Fields to a Title Block.
- Make any other changes required.
- To save the title block, on the Quick Access toolbar, click (Save).
- Load the title block into a project template or a project where you want to use it.
See Loading a Title Block into a Project.