- In Revit, open a 3D view, and prepare it for export.
See Before Exporting a 3D View to 3ds Max.
- Click Export (FBX).
TipIf FBX displays as gray, open a 3D view of the project, and then try again.
- In the Export 3ds Max (FBX) dialog, for Save in, navigate to the target folder for the exported file.
- For Naming, do one of the following:
- To specify a file name manually, select Manual (Specify file name). For File name/prefix, specify the name of the output file.
- To use an automatically generated file name, select Automatic – Long (Specify prefix), or Automatic – Short. See File Names for Exported Files.
- Click Save.
Revit generates the FBX file and places it in the target location.
You can now import the FBX file into 3ds Max, using the 3ds Max FBX add-in. For more information, refer to the 3ds Max Add-in documentation.
3ds Max provides additional control over materials, beyond the capabilities of Revit. To activate the Revit material assignments and lights in 3ds Max, specify mental ray® as the rendering engine. This is the default render setting for 3ds Max Design. For more information, refer to the 3ds Max documentation.