Table of contentsNo headers
By linking family parameters, you can control the parameters of families nested inside host families from within a project view. You can control instance parameters or type parameters.
To link parameters, they must be the same type. For example, link a text parameter in the host family to a text parameter in the nested family.
You can link a host-family parameter to more than one nested family parameter of the same type. Also, you can link this parameter to multiple nested families.
To create family parameter links
- Create a family with instance parameters or type parameters of the available types.
- Save the family and load it into a host family.
- With the new family open, click Create tabModel panel (Component), and place as many instances of the loaded family as desired.
- Click Modify tabProperties panel (Family Types).
- In the Family Types dialog, under Parameters, click Add.
- Follow the steps for creating a new parameter of the same type as the parameter you want to control in the nested family.
- Click OK to close the Family Types dialog.
- Select an instance of the loaded family in the host family.
- To edit an instance property, use the Properties palette. To edit a type property, click Modify <Element> tabProperties panel (Type Properties).
For instance properties and type properties, the column on the right has an equal sign (=) in the column heading. Gray buttons next to certain parameters indicate that they can be linked to other parameters.
- Click the button next to a parameter that is of the same type as the one you created in Step 6.
For example, if you created a text parameter, you must select a text parameter here.
- In the dialog that displays, select the parameter you created in Step 6 to associate it with the current parameter, and click OK.
When you associate 2 parameters, an equal sign appears on the button:
- Click Apply in the Properties palette, or OK to close the Type Properties dialog.
- Continue creating the host family, and save it.
- Load the family into a project, and place a few instances of it.
- Select an instance of the family.
- Locate the type or instance property you created.
To edit an instance property, use the Properties palette. To edit a type property, click Modify <Element> tabProperties panel (Type Properties).
- Specify the desired value, and click Apply in the Properties palette or OK in the Type Properties dialog.
The nested family changes according to the value you entered.