Table of contentsNo headers
Use Setup > Selection to control how entities are selected.
This topic describes the controls in the Selection panel as well as entity selection in general.
Specify the selection mode by selecting Volume, Surface, or Edge.
NoteEdge is not available for all tasks when working with 3D models.
To select multiple entities that are related to another (easily selected) item, select from the Direct menu.
Entities of the selected type highlight as you move the mouse over them. To select all items that are associated with the selection type, click on any highlighted item.
For example, if ten parts are assigned the same material, select Material from this list. As you move your mouse over the model, you will see that all ten parts highlight together because they have the same material. To select all ten, click on one of them.
The selection methods for each selectable entity are:
|Volume ||Direct -- Volumes are highlighted and are selected |
| ||Material -- All volumes that have the same material are highlighted and selected together. |
|Surface ||Direct -- Surfaces are highlighted and are selected |
| ||Volume -- Volumes are highlighted, and all surfaces touching a picked volume are selected. |
|Edge ||Direct -- Edges are highlighted and are selected |
| ||Surface -- Surfaces are highlighted, and all edges touching a picked surface are selected. |
| ||Volume -- Volumes are highlighted, and all edges touching a picked volume are selected. |
- To select the last previously selected item, click Select Previous.
- To select every entity of the current selection mode, click Select All.
- To resume the visibility of all hidden items, click Show All.
- To deselect an item that is currently selected, either click on it or click Deselect. (If multiple items are selected, the Deselect control deselects items in the reverse order in which items were selected.)
- To deselect all selected items, click Deselect all.
The curser indicates the current selection mode:
| Volume Mode ||Surface Mode || Edge Mode |
To change the selection mode, do one of the following:
- Right click in the graphics window, and select from the Selection type menu.
- Click either Volume, Surface, or Edge from Setup > Selection.
Specific colors are used to indicate the selection status of entities:
- When the mouse hovers over an entity, it turns green.
- When an entity is selected, it turns red.
- When the mouse hovers over a selected entity, it turns yellow.
When an item is selected, its label appears on the Selection List. To select entities from the Design Study Bar, simply left click on their label in the appropriate branch.
NoteTo be selectable, an entity must not be occluded by another entity. If another entity blocks the line of sight to the desired entity, hide the blocking entity.