The Molding Window analysis is used to calculate the best preliminary process settings for your study. This analysis quickly provides you with recommendations for the injection time, mold temperature, and melt temperature to use as preliminary inputs for a Fill+Pack analysis.
How it works
The Molding Window analysis uses the part geometry and the selected material and injection location to run a series of calculations, varying the process settings each time.
For each of these calculations, the Molding Window analysis checks whether certain results are achieved and then recommends the injection time and the temperature zones to mold your part. The analysis shows the feasible and preferred molding zones, and also shows which process settings will result in the highest quality molding.
Setting up a Molding Window analysis
Running a Molding Window analysis
- Open an existing project, or create a new one.
- Open a study, or click then (, and then import a CAD model.
- Click (, and then click the model to insert an injection point.
- Click (, select Molding Window from the analysis sequence list, and then click Next.
- If necessary, change the Maximum machine injection pressure, and Machine clamp open time, and then click .
- In the Molding Window page, click Add to assign materials for the analysis.
- Select a surface finish. In general, a high gloss finish is achieved at a higher melt temperature than a low gloss finish.
- Click Analyze to start the analysis, or click Finish to close and save the Analysis Wizard.
Note: When the Analysis Wizard is closed, click in the Study Tasks pane to run the analysis. The analysis Summary pane appears when the analysis is complete.
- Click the Molding Window tab in the Results Summary to view the best processing conditions.
Specifying process settings for a Molding Window analysis
- Ensure that your model is meshed
- Make sure that you have selected the Molding Window analysis, selected a material and an injection location.
- Click (
- Change settings, as required.
- Click OK.
- Click Finish, or Analyze to perform the analysis.
Using a Molding Window display
- First run a Molding Window Analysis.
- In the Results section, select the Molding Window result.
- Select a reference parameter, then move the sliders, or drag your mouse over the display, to see how changing the parameters' values affects the Molding Window.
- If the display shows a green area, and it is fairly wide, select the best point inside the green area. To allow Autodesk Moldflow Adviser to choose the best point, click the Optimum Point button.
- Click Apply, then OK to save the processing conditions.
Note: If the Molding Window display does not have any green, or if the green area was very small, you may need to change the injection location, material, or part geometry. You should then run the Molding Window calculation again to check the changes.
Topics in this section