Learn about item ownership and permissions and how to change an item's Owner and Additional Owners.
Every workspace item has one user as its Owner at any given time, starting with the user who creates the item. Workspace items can also have one or more users or user groups as Additional Owners. Item ownership information appears in the Owner and Change Summary panel of the Item Details tab.
NoteIf you do not see the Owner and Change Summary panel, you do not have the View Owner and Change Summary permission.
You can change an item's Owner and Additional Owners if you have the Change Ownership permission. We recommend giving this permission to Administrators only.
Change an Item's Owner
- On the Workspace Page, open the item whose Owner you want to change.
- On the Item Details tab, scroll down to the Owner and Change Summary panel.
- Click the Change link next to the active Owner's name.
- In the Change Owner window, click the new Owner's name or start typing the name in the Search box and click the name when it appears.
- In the confirmation dialog, click Change.
NoteIf you do not want to notify the new Owner of the change through email, clear the Send Notification Email check box.
Change an Item's Additional Owners
- On the Workspace Page, open the item whose Additional Owners you want to change.
- On the Item Details tab, scroll down to the Owner and Change Summary section.
- Click the Change link next to Additional Owners.
- In the Access Control window, double-click the users and user groups you want as Additional Owners to move them to the Additional Owners - Users or Additional Owners - Groups lists.
- When you are done, click Save.
Item Ownership and Permissions
Typically, access to an item is restricted to its Owner and any Additional Owners. To allow users to see ownership information of items they do not own, give them the View Owner and Change Summary permission. To give users access to the items themselves, give them the View Records Owned by Others permission. To give these users more than view access, give them Add and Edit permissions for the individual tabs in each item workspace (for example, Add Item Details, Edit Grid).